Points Piling Up

Monday, October 27, 2008

Time to do some catching up here, so bear with me…

The Rangers put 6 more points on the board for a total of 19 out of a possible 24 so far on the season. This past Friday night, the Rangers had a 3-1 road win in Columbus, led by Nikolai Zherdev’s 3 point night (1 goal, 2 assists) and the usual stellar play that we all come to expect from Henrik Lundqvist. The penalty killing was perfect (5 for 5) and they even added a power play goal (Dubinsky). The Rangers played almost a perfect road game, which I believe is important to establish if you’re going to become a good team. So far, so good.

The game did feature what could have been a disaster for Coach Renney, when an errant Bluejacket players stick popped him pretty good and he went down for the count. We have a laugh about it now, but it just goes to show you how dangerous hockey can be at times! Maybe the coaching staff will come out with helmets in the future.

One other thing… the penalties called in this game were a joke! Once again, the NHL’s tweaking at it’s finest. 14 minors for 28 minutes in a 60 minute game! That just makes me sick! The penalty on Colton Orr made no sense to me at all. The new NHL says you can’t interfere, so Orr dumps the puck in and gets shadowed by the Bluejacket defensemen. Then, somehow, Orr gets the penalty. You’ve got to be kidding me with these rules. I will not stop my constant hammering of the NHL’s meddling of a great sport.

The win in Columbus set the Rangers up with a showdown with the Pittsburgh Penguins. I don’t want to complain too much, but honestly the Rangers received a little luck when Zherdev roofed one over Fleury’s shoulder with 8 seconds left to go in regulation (what a shot). Freddie Sjostrom’s goal in the shoot-out was the winner in a game where the Rangers were very fortunate to tie, let alone win. I know the shots were in favor of the Rangers (44-29), but the same old song is starting to play… where is the offense? Especially troubling is the lack of offense at MSG. I can’t figure it out, and neither can the Rangers. They must pick up their offense as the season goes on.

Lastly, ah, nothing like the Rangers and the Islanders to quench a Ranger fan’s thirst. Especially when one is at the top and the other is at the bottom. The Rangers took care of the lowly Islanders, 4-2, in what is becoming a pattern lately. King Henrik was evenly matched by Islanders goalie, Joey McDonald, but in the end the Rangers outplayed the Isles when it counted. Led by Chris Drury’s 2 goal explosion, yes… that Chris Drury who is heavily counted on for not just his leadership - but his offense as well. Hopefully this is a good sign for things to come for Drury’s game.

In a game where, let’s face it, I’m gonna beat a dead horse… but I can’t help it. The officiating was once again dubious, to say the least. For both sides. Does Gary Bettman watch these games? Does he see how ridiculous the new rules towards penalties look? I don’t think I’m the only one who’s absolutely astonished by the mediocre calls in the NHL season (and season’s past). It’s a joke.

Well, the Rangers are 9-2-1 after 12 games… who would of thought? Even though I believe they have some glaring weaknesses, I have to tip my hat to the players, coaching staff, and management. This start is one of the best starts ever for a New York Ranger team in all of their fine history. As the saying goes, “Let’s-Go-Rangers”! Over and out!

7 comments:

Mr. Hockey said...

Kots--Were the refs trying to ruin a good rivalry game or was it my imagination?? Jeez ,just let em play and battle!! I have to admit,the Islanders make a ton of mistakes, but I like their philosophy-lots of pressure -up and down --shoot the puck--I thought Donnie Osmond was coaching the Islanders--then I realized it was Scott Gordan--But they did control the play for a while and gave us a tough time , but eventually the cream always rises to the top--The King was great again--the two he let in were the end product of us making defensive zone mistakes!!not the only two made, just the ones we paid for.--Lets hope that this is just the start for Drury--loosen up a bit and get the tightness out of hands! I'd like to think the first one was a snipers shot off MacDonalds skate on purpose--but I'd really rather think that Lady Luck is on his side now--#2 was nice --just circle to open space and rip it--nothing fancy--How would it look if I didn't complain about something--like I was getting soft--so here it is--Where do you think Prucha would be sitting Thursday night if he made a blind back pass from his goal line?? on the bench, or up in the Box?? Hey the " Cat " would have given Zherdev a train ticket to Kitchener for a play like that!! EURO CUTE--it ok he score goal now!

Kotsy's Korner said...

mr.hockey: Mr.hockey, I believe the league is fooling itself. Bettman and company must be blind or they just don't want to admit the mistake of "Post Lockout Rule Changes".

It's a joke and I will not stump for the league like other pundits you hear on TV night after night.
If the NHL thinks this crap is okay, then they need a full and complete examination.

The "King" is the MVP of not only the Rangers, probably the league at this moment. Drury needed a night like this. 9-2-1 wow! I almost don't believe it but give the players credit they deserve it.

It's funny you mention Zherdev's blunder, I was watching the game with my son Cody and as Zherdev began to circle in the Rangers end, I mentioned to my son "He's the last guy I want to see dangling with puck in the defensive zone". Not 5 seconds later, a nice drop pass right up the slot. You couldn't of teed it up any better. Good thing it was an Islander shooting.

Leatherneck said...

Hello Chris, if Drury gets hot..this will become a dangerous team. I still want to see Fritsche play with Dubinsky and Voros. As for Kalinin he is the weakest link in the chain and would like to see Potter brought up from Hartford to replace him. And what to do with Korpikoski? I would recommend altering Korpikoski with Dawes and Fritsche with Prucha for 5 game intervals or make that trade for a power forward. 9-2-1 is an amazing record and have to say that asides from Lundqvist you have to give the kudos to Renney and his staff. In my life I have been hit with the perfect storm and have to say that the Rangers have made it easier to deal with much of whats going on not just in this world but as I said my own life. Jubilee anyone? Lauhging

Kotsy's Korner said...

leatherneck: Leatherneck, I'm glad to see Drury score because being a "leader" isn't enough for what the Rangers pay him. He needs to continue to contribute offensively, last night was a good place to start.

My hats off to everyone in the organization. I don't think anyone seriously believed that the Rangers would get off to such a strong start.

The Rangers have good depth and Rennie can play around with certain players. I have noticed a drop in ice time for Dubinsky lately. Not a good thing ,if youre promoting growth with the youth on this team.

Kotsy's Korner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wrath of Sanity said...

I can't complain with 9-2-1, although this team does need to start scoring a lot more before I truly can believe (especially at home).

I hear the Rangers are trying to lock up Dubi long-term during the season, that would be a wise move.

Kotsy's Korner said...

wrath of sanity: Wrath, you have to be impressed with the start to the Rangers season so far. Lets hope they keep it going.

You bring up a very good point about the lack of offense (same as last year)it is a problem. Hopefully the scoring will get better (especially at home) as the season progresses.

As for Dubinsky, i think it would be wise to lock him up with long term deal. He is good player getting better and the future of the Rangers barring some unseen disaster.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP