Rangers Rebound Against Phoenix

Monday, November 24, 2008

In a game that the New York Rangers needed, they came up with a pretty good effort and a nice 4-1 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes. The game started in a very familiar pattern as Henrik Lundqvist fended off at least 3 to 4 great scoring chances to keep the Rangers in the game. Phoenix did manage to take a 1-0 lead on a goal by Lisin, but the Rangers came back with a goal by 4th line center, Blair Betts (Who showed some pretty nifty hands in beating Bryzgalov after taking the pass from Zherdev). Brandon Dubinsky then made it 2-1 on a wrap around goal that made up for the goal post that he hit in the first period. Again, Nikolai Zherdev with the assist. Dan Girardi then made it 3-1 on a blast from the point on the PP (Wait... did I just say a goal on the PP?), with an assist from - you guessed it - Zherdev. Lastly, Scott Gomez added an empty net goal late in the 3rd period to cap off the victory for the Rangers.

Now, my thoughts on the game. Again, King Henrik was the key in the opening minutes (Why can't this team come out of the gates breathing fire?). Dubinsky played with a great deal of passion tonight and even registered a Gordie Howe Hat-Trick (Goal, assist, and a fight)... not bad! Nikolai Zherdev proved to me that it's all about effort with him. The talent is not in question, the effort and being inspired is. When Zherdev plays with no effort, he becomes uninspired... when the opposite occurs, he's one of the best in the league. Also, kudos to Scott Gomez... getting back in the lineup for him has got to be satisfying. Gomez picked up an empty net goal and skated very well tonight, it was good to see him back.

Overall it was what the Rangers needed: a win. There's still some parts of their game that need to be fixed though, we all know that! Well, onto the next one!

Quinnipiac Bobcats

As for the Qunnipiac Bobcats, I was in upstate New York with the Bobcats in Potsdam for 2 games over the weekend. The "Road Warrior" act continued on for the Bobcats. First, they took game 1 on Friday with a score of 4-2 over Clarkson. In that game the Bobcats were led by David Marshall's 2 goals and solid goaltending by Bud Fisher. The Bobcats dominated for the first 2 periods and managed to hold on for the win.

On Saturday, the Bobcats took on St. Lawrence looking for their fourth straight win on the road. Captain Dan Henningson's 2 goals lead the way as the Bobcats finished the road trip with a 5-2 victory over the Saints of St. Lawrence. I think these past 2 weekends, the Bobcats are finding their way as to what type of team they are. Coach Pecknold and his staff has gotten the team buying into what's been taught and that's all you can really ask for.

In my opinion, it's tough to win on the road and the Bobcats have proved to me that they can win on the road at any time and at any place. Up next, the Princeton Tigers. I will be there doing the color commentary with my man Bill Schweizer, who will be doing the play-by-play. Check us out on Wednesday at 7:00 PM EST. Over and out!

» Bobcats Link: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x981.xml

12 comments:

Wrath of Sanity said...

Good win tonight. I was very happy to see Dubinsky have a good game... he deserved it. Also, Zherdev definitely looked inspired and ready to go tonight... always a good thing.

Kotsy's Korner said...

wrath of sanity: Wrath, winning usually cures all. The Rangers needed a win and they got it.

It was nice to see other players getting some serious ice time and it payed off tonight.

Dubinsky looked good and I love the ice time he received. If the youth is going to grow they have to play.

As for Zherdev I think my thoughts are self explanatory.

Leatherneck said...

Hello Chris...i liked the new line and D pairings over what we had previously...but to be frank..its a band aid over an arterial bleeding...my goodness what was Roszival thinking on the pheonix goal??? I am not an NHL Defenseman but i know better..that a player with a terrible angle on an outstanding goalie has no chance of scoring...so i will take the pass away...let him shoot...idiotic turn overs and plays like that do not warrant ice time..and Kalinin does make his partners look bad...Mara and Kalinin did not look good at all and we know its not Mara...why do they keep playing these 2? call up Potter bench them 2 so they get their acts together...again Callahan and the 4th line and a hit or 2 from Dubinsky was our only hitting...any rumors to upgrade the team?

Kotsy's Korner said...

leatherneck: Leatherneck if you look closely on the goal by Phoenix Stall got caught up the ice. That's what created the 2 on 1, I am sure Rozival could have played it better no doubt.

Let's see you're a team struggling to score goals and the Ranger "D" continues to get caught jumping into the offensive end? They do it all the time and Lundqvist saves their ass!

I loved the fact that Renney gave the ice time based on who was performing. Did you notice Reddens ice time was limited and they didn't force feed us the high priced guns. What has happened to Kalinin? His game has gone south, I guess Buffalo saw the best he's got.

I think with the win it let the Rangers brass off the hook about making a move for now. You and I both know somethings got to happen eventually.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris. Like I said on my blog earlier today (I'm back after some weeks off), Gomez's return last night was a blessing, a big breath of fresh air. He's been able to give the game a pace during 60 minutes. He took some pressure of his teammates shoulders, no doubts about that. Especially on face-offs, 19 out of 23, 10 out of 11 in the offensive zone. Looked so easy for him. That was really entertaining to watch him. And now we know that he wasn't playing at 100% for more than a month, I'm definitely in a hurry to see more from the guy. No matter the contract, we won't go anywhere this season without Scotty Gomez. He's one of the most(if not the most in offense) important pawn on Renney's chessboard.

Leatherneck said...

Yeah..I know...but it was a bad pass from Roszival that left Staal hanging...whats up with Roszival...any ideas besides his confidence being shaken?

Kotsy's Korner said...

jeff Jeff, I agree that Gomez skated well last night. I also believe that he is important to the Rangers success. However it was also nice to see others involved (Dubinsky, Zherdev, Girardi, etc...)

You can't only rely on Gomez, if that's the case this team is going nowhere. Sorry that's how I feel.

I am glad you are back. Keep up the good word!

Kotsy's Korner said...

leatherneck: Leatherneck, I respectfully disagree, our first fight HA-HA. The D getting caught up ice, it's been a common occurrence the last month or so.

Stall was guilty on the goal by Lisin, and proceeded to get caught up ice again in the game. He's not the only one. They all do it.

My point is that if your not a high scoring team (and they are not!). Why do you take chances? when you know your team might only score 2-3 max per game. Not very smart. Lack of Hockey sense if you asked me.

If your a team that consistently scores and takes considerable leads or down by a couple in the 3rd, by all means as D jump into the fray. This team presently is not capable of that.

Poor Rozi, He's lost every bit of confidence. I know this from experience. When the confidence goes the routine plays become torture. You don't want the puck, you don't want to be near it, you don't want team mates to pass it to you. The whole nine yards and I've been there it sucks.

Rozi has to fight out of it himself. Keep it simple until he finds his game again. Rozi is not this bad!

Mr. Hockey said...

Kots--They played like they did back in early October---I was happy to see that Renney at least tried to shake things up with the line changes---I'd like to see them remain that way for a while---To tell you the truth -That third line centered by Korpi dosn't seem to by a big offensive threat( to me anyway)--If the fourth line gets the same ice time it would not shock me to see them put up better numbers.--The key word for last nights game was CONSISTENCY---After the first ten minutes where the Coyotes skated like the Flying Frenchmen--The king was consistent--they went to the net--they played smart with and without the puck--the made good decisions, and didn't take long to make them--and they did it for the whole game--they were motivated, they were consistent--The one thing I'll keep a close eye on now is if Mara's game turns to crap--now that he has the human anchor tied to his neck!!This is Kalinins third partner--whats next??? Out the door??--Girardi was going backward with him and his game is still not as good as he has shown--Oh I forgot he has Redden to play with now(out of the fire..)Kalinin got Rozi so screwed up, the poor guy don't seem to know which end is up--his confidence is drained---so whats next, but to try and see if he can infect Mara---For the life of me , I can't see what Renney sees in this guys game--Did someone say Christian Backman??? Hey at this point I'd rather see him night in and night out and not Kalinin--I think the only thing this guy has going for him, is that he's A-hole buddies with Zherdev and God knows we don't want to upset that case!!

Kotsy's Korner said...

mr.hockey: Mr.Hockey, I can always count on you to tell it like it is. Don't hold anything back. Funny at times but the truth is with you.

Once again the Rangers started or didn't start the game until Phoenix scored. The "King" allowed them to have chance of winning with some key saves early on. (sound familiar).

Once the Rangers got started, I thought they played well. The other lines contributed more to this win than usual suspects. Give Dubi credit, he was a force.

It's time to give more ice time to who's playing the best that night, If you aren't performing you ride the pine, that's only fair.

Some way they have to find a settled set of D pairings. Musical D partners does not do it for me.

I really don't know whats happened to Kalinin. It's unbelievable. As for Rozi he is a total wreck and only he can find his way back.

Anonymous said...

No no, not at all Chris, I don't rely only on Gomez. That's just, I don't know, I had some sort of revelation seeing him back (Amen). The difference between the game against the Yotes and the one against Ottawa last Saturday is huge. I just realized Monday how an healthy Gomez is important for this team.
Dubinsky's and Zherdev's great night are partially due to his return in my opinion. With less pressure to carry, they played free.

I was a bit skeptical about the money the guy is making and his output, I probably fell in the trap, thinking a player paid so much must score each night. I will see that differently from now (Amen bis).

Kotsy's Korner said...

jeff: Jeff, when you put in that perspective, then I whole heartily agree.

Remember Gomez and Drury, that's what this team is supposed to be about. Huge signings, big money, and leaders where they came from.

The Ranger Fans, brass, expected these 2 players to carry the bulk of the load. I don't see them as load bearing players. I see them as very good Hockey players when their game is on.

This team needs everyone to contribute from top to bottom. Letting some of the others play Dubinski, Zherdev etc.... I think you get what I mean.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP