Alaska You Say? Fantastic!

Sunday, July 12, 2009

I just got back from Anchorage, Alaska after attending the Scotty Gomez Foundation dinner/auction event and let me tell you: it was a fantastic experience. The people of Anchorage should be very proud of the hospitality that they showed towards me and the other guests. I personally want to thank Scott and his dad Carlos who invited me to come up and get a real taste of the Alaskan Way. It was truly enjoyable in every way possible. Myself, Ron Duguay, Ken Daneyko, and Ken’s friend E.J. Solimine flew up together and met some really good people. The list is too long, so I apologize for not naming them. For anyone who has never checked out Alaska, you should check it out and that's all I have to say about that! Oh, and by the way, yours truly managed to finish first in the golf tournament. How? Don't ask, but I think my foursome carried me!

As for the hockey front, I did get a chance to meet and chat with Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Aaron Voros, and the great Willie O'Ree. All were very personable and it was great to have the chance to talk with them. I see while I was away that the New York Rangers had made some noise with the signing of free agent winger, Ales Kotalik (formerly of the Buffalo Sabres and Edmonton Oilers). Nice signing. Good size - and skill to match. Dane Byers has re-upped again and I think it’s time for him to make a splash with the big club, it's time! On a little bit of a down note, Paul Mara has signed with Montreal. Boy, how much money do they have left? I have always liked Mara, he's a good solid d-man and a great team player. I guess it's time to turn a new leaf in Ranger land as this team will yet again look totally different from last year. Is there more changes to come? I think there is. But the who, when, and how is yet to be determined.

Lastly, one of the great characters of all-time in the NHL has passed away in Reggie Fleming. I watched Fleming growing up and he was one tough hombre. I have been fortunate to have heard many stories about Reggie from some of his Ranger teammates and they’ve always been good ones. My condolences goes out to his family and friends!

10 comments:

Wrath of Sanity said...

The trip sounded like a lot of fun! Scott Gomez seemed like a good and funny guy, I wish him well in Montreal.

As for the Rangers... Kotalik can provide a cannon for the PP (if they choose to play him on the defense or the wing). I'm alright with that signing.

Also, I'm hearing that we extended Ryan Callahan another 2 years today. Excited about that!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Wrath, It was a fun trip and yes Scott Gomez is a down to earth, funny, and good person. I do wish him well in Montreal.

Kotalik is good pickup. Callahan's extension is great news for Ranger fans.

Joe Tucc said...

Congrats on the golf Chris....sounds like you all had a good time.

Lots happening out there while you were gone. Korpedo gone, Enver Lisin in. Still not sure what to make of this deal People are saying salary dump, but Lisin too is a RFA and needs to be re-signed. Supposedly a rocketship, but hey Korpikoski had decent speed for a big guy too.

Did you do any fishing out in Alaska?

Kotsy's Korner said...

Joe Tucc, We did it all in Alaska. Golf, Fish and had a few cocktails. It was just awesome .

As for the Rangers I agree the Korpikoski deal is strange.

One things for sure the Blueshirts will have totally revamped look this year.

Canyon of Blueshirts said...

I wonder how Gomez feels about the trade. I like Gomez a lot and love the way he plays when hes on, but his contracts unbearable and it's too bad b/c it takes away from how good of a player he is.

Leatherneck said...

Hello Chris...Life is moving along and I am learning the value of patience in great detail as Ashley is still away which then brings me up to..patience and the Rangers, I still dont like this team even with the changes, i dont get the thoughts of losing the best 4th line in hockey, Betts and Orr and say place in Byers over Sjostrom..signing of Brashear..still no tough D-man..Hopefully Krieder is a good pick..Talk soon my brother from another mother

MissKris1307 said...

Glad to hear you have some skills on the green and enjoyed Alaska. I really think that's going to be my next trip. I'm currently in Belgium and sweating because Europeans don't believe in central air or fans. No wonder the smells!

Anyways- hi to Ron and Ken next time you see them. I did the radio show with them a few weeks back, it was SUCH a fun time!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Ryan, Scott Gomez loved playing in NY. I think at first he was a little taken back by the trade.

I learned a lot about Gomez as a person. He's a class act and very respectful of the old school ways of the NHL.

I also believe he understands that playing in the NHL is a business and I for one believe he will do well in Montreal.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, Sometimes life is what it is. Hang in there eventually things work out all in it's own time.

As for the Rangers the jury's still out. Change is good only if it works.

You and I still see the absence of tough D-man missing and I have to admit I will miss Colton Orr.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Kris, No air conditioning what's that all about!

Alaska was great and Scott Gomez
his family and friends are all class. Their hospitality was out of this world.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP