Catching Up...

Friday, August 28, 2009

I know I haven’t posted anything for almost 3 weeks now. The reason for that is that I’ve been busy doing some golf outings for charity. Anyways, I also didn’t find the hockey happenings to be that interesting. I’m all for the signing of Vinny Prospal. The price was right, the coach is familiar with him, and the length of the contract is short at 1 year. Nice pick-up, period. Obviously Vinny and Tortorella have had their moments together, both good and bad. Torts has put that aside and knows what he’s getting- that’s all that I need to know.

Other than that, what’s new? The Dubinsky situation is status quo and rumors of Kessel, Heatley, and so on being acquired by the Rangers are floating around like the constant beating of a drum. I’ll believe these rumors when they happen, not before. On to a better subject, who will step into the 5th and 6th and possibly 7th spot on the roster as a defenseman? Unless a trade or two happens, it looks like the top 4 are solidified with Staal, Girardi, Redden, and Rozsival. That means there is job opportunities for a few. The early leader appears to be Matt Gilroy, who I believe is penciled in already because of the contract that he signed (2 years, 3.5 million, 1-way contract). So now we’re down to 2 spots. Will a youngster like Michael Del Zotto be ready? Or will it be Corey Potter’s time? What about Sanguinetti… is he seasoned enough yet? These are some of the names, but you never know, do you? Maybe someone else will stand out in camp and in pre-season. The jobs are there, all a player has to do is sieze the moment and take it. I look forward to this as a former d-man in watching who jumps out and takes the bull by the horns and earns a spot on an NHL roster.

Okay, I said earlier that the news around the NHL is sort of bland or rehashed day after day. So here I go! The Dany Heatley story is getting beyond boring. It kind of reminds me a little of Mats Sundin from last season. Remember that crap? Anyways, here’s my take on it... Heatley is obviously disgruntled in Ottawa. He asked for a trade and it hasn’t happened yet. If he wants out so badly, why doesn’t he just not show up for camp? Force the issue. Heatley has a value and many teams would like his services. GM Bryan Murray is asking a king's ransom for a disgruntled player and no one has stepped up their offers to his liking. Money is not the problem with Heatley- he’s made a fortune. So take the steps you need to take or just stay where you are. Over and out!

21 comments:

Wrath of Sanity said...

Gotta love the Prospal deal, cheap and short. Can't complain about that.

Other than that.. I'm sick of all the rumors that will never happen. I just want the season to start already!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Wrath, Prospal is a good pickup. There is some history with Tort's and he knows what he's getting as a player. The short term contract doesn't hurt either.

I'm with you on the rumor mill.

Unknown said...

There should be no argument on the Prospal deal from the cap standpoint. Certainly appears to be money better spent than what happened last year with Rissmiller and Voros. The jury is still out on how Prospal will perform. I hope this is not a second coming of Zdeno Ciger.

On a separate note, I caught the end of game 6 of the 1987 Maple Leafs - Blues series on the NHL Network. Some nice dancing with Rob Ramage in the last minute of the game.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Jason, Totally agree with you on the Prospal signing. Relatively cheap, 1 year and who knows?

I actually watched about 2 periods of that 1987 playoff game. What I remember the most is that was my second game back in months.

I just came off a torn groin/stomach muscle injury. (That injury was the beginning and the end of my career, I never fully recovered from that even to this day)

I wasn't supposed to play that much, but you know how it goes. Played more than I would have liked to LOL.

As for Ramage what was he thinking? He had all series to get Daoust, and when he realized the series was over now he wants him?
What a joke!

The next series is when I fought Probert for the 1st time and re injured my groin in that fight and was done for the playoffs.

Soon it's Ranger time!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Do you know what is going on with the NHLPA? Looks like another power struggle.

Unknown said...

Do you know what is going on with the NHLPA? Looks like another power struggle.

Unknown said...

Do you know what is going on with the NHLPA? Looks like another power struggle.

Unknown said...

Sorry for multiple repeats. I think my browser is experiencing a slight malfunction.

Leatherneck said...

So Kessel is in talks? who goes to get him...have not heard this

Kotsy's Korner said...

Jason, It's always something with The NHLPA isn't. It's almost laughable.

No, I didn't get any inkling about Kelly getting fired till a couple of days ago.

We as retired player's don't get much info from the association period.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, What's going on? Kessel, Heatley, Marleau..... Blah, Blah.... I'll believe it when it happens.

Too often we get bored and rumors start everywhere, everyday. Let the season begin!

JohnM said...

Kotsy, Happy August.The Rangers roster has been re tooled for offense. Prospal fits in. Gravchev is going to get a long look I think. Heatly is a goal scoring machine that wants to play a ton of minutes. Heatly fits Torts style like a glove. Lets go get him Slats. The Garden will roar on a nightly basis with Gaborik and Heatly shooting at will.

Kotsy's Korner said...

JohnM, Hockey is coming soon! I am looking forward to it big time!

It would be great if Gravchev can make the team. I have only seen video of him and he looks really good.

Prospal's a no brainer. The salary and one year contract is perfect.

Heatley and Gaborik would be awesome, I like Heatley's game and he would be a good fit.

Nice to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,

Sorry I haven't been around lately, but was still reading the blog! This summer was particularly long. Two weeks to go before training camp, should be a fun one. I'm very curious to see if everyone got the memo from Torts. If so, things could be interesting. A so much more entertaining season to watch.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Jeff, Long time no hear? LOL. It will be interesting to see how Tort's molds this team from the beginning.

Hockey is finally here. Nice to hear from you.

Leatherneck said...

hey Chris, Kyle McLaren is on the roster eh...his chances?

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, You have been calling his name for sometime now. Let's hope he still has a little left in the tank.

He probably has to be super good to make the roster, but you never know do ya?

Leatherneck said...

lets hope my predictions are true..in that case...it bodes well for me in my personal life too...smiles...he'll help...alot but still we are a piece or two away

MissKris1307 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MissKris1307 said...

Kotsy-
Golfing in the off season is no excuse to slack off on the updates... haha. I mean, look at my City of Champions Pittsburgh Penguins- they're visiting the White House tomorrow afternoon yet will still be reporting to training camp on time this Saturday.

:-)

Just giving you a hard time and enjoying one of the last times I'll get to rub that in before my team inevitably does something to embarrass me this season. Haha.

Hope you've had a great summer; looking forward to hearing your thoughts throughout the season!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Krista Lynn, Soon the "New Season" begins and I've already forgot who won the cup last year LOL.

Once the season starts I will be more active with the blog. No use rehashing boring and tired stories day after day in the off season.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP