Rangers Golf Classic

Friday, September 11, 2009

I just got back from two wonderful days with the New York Rangers alumni in White Plains, NY. We held our annual members meeting at the Crowne Plaza Hotel and needless to say it was just awesome to be there! The players that were present, was basically a “Who’s Who” of former Rangers. Nick Fotiu, Ron Greschner, Andre Dore, Rod Gilbert, Eddie Mio, Pat Hickey, Ed Hospodar, Kelly Kisio, Dave Maloney, Brian Mullen, Brad Park, Pete Stemkowski, Steve Vickers, Gilles Villemure, and yours truly.

We discussed many things that were happening with the Rangers Alumni, treasurer’s report, updates, and the NHL Alumni itself. However, the best part of the night was the presence of Head Coach John Tortorella at the meeting to give us an update on this year’s New York Rangers team. Torts was just fantastic. He talked about everything- Gaborik, Brashear, who’s going to fill in the defense this year, what he want’s from his team, how the best players will play the most, etc. He didn’t shy away from some of our questions and he answered everyone. I was really taken by the admiration he has for the former Rangers and old time hockey players. John simply stated that we, who played before, played in an era that he called, “When hockey was hockey”. I was personally thankful for the recognition he gives for the past history of our great game and I think all of us in that room got a little bit of a boost from listening to John. What I also got from Tortorella’s talk was that this Rangers team will be in shape. They will be on the attack and he promised they will be ready to go on opening night in Pittsburgh.

The next day we played in the New York Rangers Golf Classic at the Westchester Golf and Country Club (My group and I finished in 2nd place, not too shabby). As usual, the Rangers spared no expense and the night was capped off with the Rangers Alumni honoring two of New York’s own- Nick Fotiu and Brian Mullen. Let me tell you, it went perfect! Sam Rosen mc’d the event and every player, past or present, took a bow. The best, however, was saved for Nicky and Brian. Both defied the odds and proved that if you want it bad enough, you can succeed. I have a special fondness for Nick Fotiu. He was a teammate of mine, a good friend, and better still- just a good person. Congratulations to both of the honorees, you earned it!

On a personal note, it was great to see some of my former teammates like Steve Vickers and Ron Greschner again. And, I can’t tell a lie, we did break curfew both nights. I guess we will have to pay the fine! Over and out!

14 comments:

GENO said...

Hi Chris, sounds like you guys had a great time. Must of been fun reminising about the good ole days of hockey. Most of the guys you mentioned in your blog, I had a few coctails with, off course after I was off duty, and after the game or practice. A good fun bunch of guys who treated me as one of their own. In your blog you stated that Tort's will use Brashear on the D. Has he played "D" before? Was there any mention as to who is being talked about as the #1 center? I am really looking forward for the season to start. I am trying to get Gresch and his family to come over to west coast of Florida to have dinner at my families rest, but he has stated to me that he has a family of 7. I guess he does not want to impose. I am trying to convince him that he is more than welcome. I also told to meet me in South Beach, Miami next week at my son's wedding for few coctails, so I can treat you guys as you treated me in the past as one of your own. That includes you and your family my friend. --- Geno

Kotsy's Korner said...

Geno, It's always great to get together with your former teammates and friends. We did manage to break curfew both nights LOL.

The Rangers and the Ranger Alumni are second to none when it comes down to it. First class all the way.

Sorry, If misled you and the readers when I said "Who's going to fill in on the defense". I didn't mean Brashear was going to play "D". Tort's gave us his view on it and there are two spots open.

The number one center is yet to be determined. It could be Dubinsky when his situation is settled or maybe a trade?

Someday we will all take you up on the offer. If I ever get down to to your area I will be there.

Wish your son well for me at his big day.

Leatherneck said...

Hello Chris, well Sharks are now my odds on favs to win the cup now. great deal for them and i think Heatley will score 60 or more playing with Thornton..

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, I wouldn't go that far. Sharks have been someone's fave for a while now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh and by the way just in case you have not heard Kyle Mclaren is injured and will not be in the Rangers camp. I'd say it's probably over for him.

Leatherneck said...

Hi Chris, yeah I heard. Sad for him and the Rangers, I said he would be on the Rangers Roster and he was, now lets pray he heals. What happened to him anyway. The reports didnt mention what happened.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, I like you have no idea what happened. I think due his being injured the past few years it just might be the end of his career.

Mr. Hockey said...

Kots--As they say--when your number is up,your number is up---and when it ain't---you don't worry about it!!!---I'm doing better than ever--down to fighting weight---I'm not closing the bars at golf outings,but I'm back---49er's unis look good without the black trim---Camp is open and I know Torts is pushing them hard already--They better be ready--I know I am---Anyway I'm back--I'm breathing--and still hating the troll!!!!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Mr. Hockey, It's about time. Haven't heard from you in awhile.

Hey, It wouldn't be me if didn't break curfew every now and then. One things for sure I wasn't the only one LOL.

Looking forward to the Rangers upcoming season and your comments.

Oh, by the way my Niners got the job done! Who's the Troll anyway? LOL.

Mr. Hockey said...

Kots--The Troll--Why thats the one and only --everything is great in Arizona--What else can I do to ruin this game--I think I'll turn it into basketball on ice--Our Commish---Tell me he does not look like a Troll!!!!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Mr.Hockey, Too funny is all I can say.

Leatherneck said...

Hey Chris, any ideas where I can catch the game on the net today?

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, I had my son Cody look into it and he came up with nothing.

He did say that they really don't broadcast games on the net until the regular season starts.

Sorry.

Wrath of Sanity said...

Yeah, most websites that I know of don't have any pre-season hockey on them unfortunately.

I'm sure there's some out there, I just don't know where they might be. Sorry I can't help you out either, Leatherneck.

Wrath of Sanity said...

For future reference...

http://www.atdhe.net/

Usually has some online feeds.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP