Boogaard Passes Away, Conference Finals

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Well this is not exactly how I wanted to start my blog, but the tragic death of New York Ranger Derek Boogaard is something that needs to be talked about. I met and chatted with Derek at a Ranger golf outing before this past season started. We talked for about five minutes and discussed his coming to New York and what the team was going to look like. We also talked about his role on the team and what his expectations were. It was the usual hockey jargon that a present day player talking to a player from the past would be like. I found Derek to be a engaging individual, although a little bit on the shy side. But overall just a real nice person. His passing has struck the Ranger family hard. How and why this happened doesn’t matter at this time. What matters is that his life was cut way too short at a tender age of 28 and to me that’s brutally unfair. It’s a sad time for all. My heartfelt condolences goes out to his family, friends and his team mates.

Here are my picks in the Eastern and Western conference finals.

Boston Bruins vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

The Bruins slapped the Flyers around like they were nothing. Revenge and payback is what the Bruins got by sweeping the Flyers 4 straight, really embarrassing the Flyers. The Bruins look strong and have that something extra going on that will be tough to deal with no matter who is in their way. Tampa, on the other hand, has really defied most of the experts (Not me) in disposing the over-hyped Alex Ovechkin and his Washington Capitals. The Lightning have won 7 games in a row and have a confidence level that is sky high. This one is a tough call for me. I still have a soft spot for the Bruins as I grew up a big fan of theirs, but I’m going against my heart and taking the Lightning in an upset. Going the limit of 7 games.

Vancouver Canucks vs. San Jose Sharks

The Canucks had a tough go with my dark horse pick Nashville, but in the end the more talented team won. I think that was pretty clear to see. Vancouver has edged even closer to the high expectations that the hockey world has given them and are now one round away from battling for Lord Stanley‘s cup. San Jose, on the other hand, squandered a chance to rest up when they allowed the “Euro Wings” to climb back after a 3-0 deficit and take it to 7 games before the Sharks finally put an end to it. They probably could of used the rest heading into this match up with Vancouver. The Sharks are battle tested and are as close a team as they have ever been. I see this one as a tight, long series as well going 7 and my pick is the Canucks.

So there you have it. Agree? Disagree? Let me know what you think and post your thoughts on here in the comments section. Over and Out!

12 comments:

grassrootsconservative said...

**Sorry if this is a repost but I don't think this went in the first time....

RIP Derek Boogard and prayers for his family and friends. This is such sad news. I was shocked last night when I heard and had a hard time believing it. Thank you, Chris, for sharing that with us.

I wonder how hard Gabs is taking it. I heard they were close friends.

I agree with your picks for the next round and like that you picked Tampa over the Bruins. Both teams swept their series so both have confidence. I just think Tampa has the better talent. I could be wrong there, but that's the way I see it.

The Western conference is anyone's guess. I would kind of like to see the Sharks make it to the final and finally shed the old choke tag to shut everyone up. I like that team for some reason. There is a chance that the Canucks have sat around and lost a step in their game waiting around. We'll see. Looking forward to the rest of the playoffs.

Wrath of Sanity said...

Very sad news regarding Boogaard. Definitely came out of nowhere, a shocker. R.I.P.

As far as the conference finals... I got the Lightning & the Sharks. I think Tampa is on a destiny run. I would have picked Boston, but since Bergeron will probably be out for the series (you would think), I think it will hurt them. Especially on the PK against Tampa's PP.

Kotsy's Korner said...

grassrootsconservative, The death of Derek Boogaard really sucks! Like I said he seemed to be a fine young man and very humble. The short time I talked to him I got the impression he was a gentle giant off the ice. Not a good time for the hockey world.

Hey I got to go against the grain. it's my style. I've stuck with Tampa all a long, even though I grew up a Bruins fan. who ever wins will deserve it.

If Vancouver does not win this series and the Stanley Cup it will be time to blow that team up. Sharks may have that choke label, But Vancouver is one step ahead of them in that department LOL.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Wrath, As a former player and Ranger alumni it hurts to hear about the passing of someone so young like Derek Boogaard. It's so wrong...

Bergeron being out could pose a problem for the Bruins as he is one of their better two way players. However this is the playoffs the Bruins need to suck it up and move on.

Lightning and the Sharks? We shall see...

GENO said...

Chris, the sad news on Derek Boogard really sucked. It is a terrible shame for anyone so young (28). My prayers and condolences go out to his family, friends and team mates.

As for the playoffs, I agree with the Tampa pick over the Bruins, and I think it is about time for Vancouver over the Sharks. The Canucks have to get over their choke moniker in this round, and with Luongo playing strong maybe they can get over that hump. Chris, what is your opinnion on J.R's cliche' on Patrick Marleau s being "GUTLESS"

Kotsy's Korner said...

Geno, His passing really puts life in perspective. Derek Boogaard will be remembered as a fine gentleman who gave plenty of himself on and off the ice to all that asked.

I'm sticking with my picks, even though I have that soft spot for Boston.

Roenick's remarks were careless, but that's Roenick's style. He pushes the envelope. Sometimes it comes out good and sometimes it comes out bad.

Author said...

RIP Boogey Man!

I was a fan of the big man long before he came to NY b/c I've always watched his fight clips on Youtube.

I've been reading that he's a gentile giant off the ice for years. This isn't just the typical talk after someone passes away. It sounds like he was a legitimate nice guy who was extremely close with his family. I feel for anyone who knew him on a personal level. My prayers are with the Boogaard family & all of his friends.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Puck Central, I totally agree...RIP Boogeyman...

Dave Salter said...

Chris:

My name is Dave Salter. I am a freelance hockey writer for publications such as The Hockey News (stories on Denis Potvin and Dennis Maruk this year)and want to interview you for the Acadia University Annual hockey magazine as I live nearby Wolfville, NS. Can you send me a phone number or email that I can use to contact you?

My email is davesalter@eastlink.ca
Phone 902-352-2120.

Leatherneck said...

Hello Chris..quite sad indeed on the loss of one of ours...Sharks will win the series and the Cup..Sharks against the Bruins would be nice but I also think it will be the Lightning...How have you been brother?

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, I've been doing good. Boogaard's passing has hit the Ranger family hard. Tough times for all.

It doesn't look good for the Sharks at this moment or the Lightning. Vancouver looks to be finally living up to their press clippings.

Doing fine, Hope you are too!

Sebby said...

Hi Chris,
my name is Sebby Liseo and im hair stylist in Bloomfield ct and I believe that i used to be your hairstylist back in the 80's.The name of my salon at the time was Shear 2000 in Bloomfield. I'm still in Bloomfield at Moda Salon on Mountain Avenue in Bloomfield. If you are ever in the area stop in and say Hi.
Sebby
860 992-9966

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP